fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr James <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 09:09:43 +0100
Subject: call or text +12074807466
UNITED BANK FOR AFRICA - AFRICA'S GLOBAL BANK
HEAD OFFICE ADDRESS UBA HOUSE
57 MARINA P.O. BOX 2406 LAGOS NIGERIA
phone no: (207) 480-7466
I Am Mr.Kennedy Uzoka the director cash processing united bank for
African the international monetary fund (I.M.F.) in conjunction with
Organization of African Unity (A.U) is compensating all the scam
victims with $1.500.000.00USD and your email address was found in the
scam victim's, the united bank for African and Federal Reserve Bank
has been mandated by the (I.M.F) to pay your compensation ($1.500,
000.00USD) in cash through means of diplomatic courier service hand
Take note that Th united $700 dollars have been mapped out for all
expenses in taxes and other documents that matters. Therefore, kindly
forward your home address, direct phone number to the below email
Mr Kennedy Michael
Director cash processing unit
United bank of Africa. (U.B.A).
Phone no: 2074807466