fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Palacio" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 19:18:54 -0700
CONGRATULATION!! Your G.S.M has won you 1,000.000.00 euro in the ongoing
G.S.M MOBILE PROMOTION for claim call:PALACIO JEFFERSON ON 34632202606 &
You should note that your email addres in addition to millions of company and
individual email where extracted with a software and the addresses where
scrutinized with a ballot system and after the processes, 30 email addresses
where selected and they were shared into 3 categories respectively and which
you are a winner in the 1st category of £1,000.000.00 (One Million Euro).
PLEASE YOU ARE ADVICE TO FILL IN THE
VERIFICATION AND FUNDS RELEASED FORM BELOW;
1. NAMES IN FULL: ________________________ 2. Address: _______________
5.E-MAIL ADDRESS: ________________________
8. COUNTRY:_______________________________ 9.OCCUPATION: _____________
9. Scan copy of your internation passport or driver's license