fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Allen Goldberg" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 22:11:21 -0500
My name is Dolpa Treks an Investment consultant and a Sourcing Agent.
I represent the interest of my client who wants to invest in your
country, I am currently seeking for a trustworthy and committed
entrepreneur or person who can handle the investment and that can act
as a trustee to the Investment bond of USD$1002 million in your
My client is interested to invest in Commercial Real Estates,
Industrial projects, Transportation, Agriculture, Manufacturing, Hotel
Resorts, Hospitals, Renewable Energy and expansion of existing
businesses or any Joint Venture of your choice etc.I am making this
contact with you on the strength of my client need for a credible
individual, The establishment of this joint business venture will be
carried out in a manner consistent with the prevailing international
laws and that
of your country guiding such an
If you think you have a solid background and idea of making good
profits in any of the above mentioned business sectors and
you are interested, kindly reply to me please
( email@example.com )