fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Aisha Al-Qaddafi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 09:13:24 -0700
Subject: Dear Friend,
I came across your e-mail contact prior a private search while in need
of your assistance. My name is Aisha Gaddafi a single
Mother and a Widow with three Children. I am the only biological
Daughter of late Libyan President (Late Colonel Muammar
I have investment funds worth Twenty Seven Million Five Hundred
Thousand United State Dollar ($27.500.000.00 ) and i need a
trusted investment Manager/Partner because of my current refugee
status, however, I am interested in you for investment
project assistance in your country, may be from there, we can build
business relationship in the nearest future.
I am willing to negotiate investment/business profit sharing ratio
with you base on the future investment earning profits.
If you are willing to handle this project on my behalf kindly reply
urgent to enable me provide you more information about
the investment funds. Your Urgent Reply Will Be appreciated and all
email should be at the email below;
Mrs Aisha Gaddafi