fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs .Maureen Tyndale" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 13:26:31 +0100
Subject: My Donation Fund to you
How are you today? I hope all is well with you and your family to the glory
of almighty God. My name is Mrs.Maureen Tyndale I am a widow and also
married to Late Mr. Luke Tyndale who works in France Embassy here in lome
-Togo West Africa for nine years before he died in the year 2007. My dear I
am divinely touched in my heart to offer my inheritance fund through you
for Charity work to help the less privileges, orphans and motherless
My dear I am written you this message because I am suffering from
esophageal Liver Cancer for years now and I have undergone series of cancer
treatments but no avail. Recently I went for a medical check up and my
doctor privately told me that I might not survive this cancer illness
because the cancer has damage my Liver. Having known to my condition, I
have decided to donate my inheritance fund to you the sum of Five Million
united states dollars ($5.000.000.00). My dear I want you to use this fund
for Charity work in helping the less privileges, orphaans and motherless
children.Ã My dear I have decided to hand over this fund to you so that
you will conduct a vastly charity work and dispense the fund to the glory
of God in helping the less privileges and orphans around.Ã My dear
immediately I hear from you I will give you all the details about this Fund
ok. I pray that God will be with you in as you desire to do this Charity
work. I'm waiting to receive your reply.
THE BANK CONTACT INFORMATIONS.
ECOBANK OF TOGO-LOME CITY.
20, AVENUE SYLVANUS OLYMPIO
P.O. box:P.O. box 3302 LomÃ© â Togo
Phone:(228) 22 21 72 44
Fax:(228) 22 21 42 36
Web site .www.ecobank.com
Person to contact Dr. Gilbert Gita the bank Director
Private Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Privete phone +228 93159285
Thanks and God bless you.
From Mrs.Maureen Tyndale