fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- or driving licence. contact: mr.malik iyatah... email: ( email@example.com ) .. / . ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) . ( email@example.com (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 09:06:36 +0100
Subject: RE; YOUR TOTAL FUND / GOOD NEWS.
RE: GREETINGS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.....
An email was sent to you before in respect to your
outstanding-compensation-payment. We were going through
your-payment-portfolio file and discover that you are not yet to claim
your compensation-payment total fund.
We are oblige to inform you that your email was listed among those
that are yet to receive their-compensation-payment fund.and The United
Nations in Affiliation with World-Bank have agreed to compensate you
and others with the total sum of One Million Nine hundred thousand
United State dollars ( $1.900,000.00usd )..as a compensation to scam
victims and foreigners who could not claim their total fund abroad due
to government policies problem. authorlities....
You are to receive your-total compensation fund payment through a
verified and valid ATM-VISA MASTER-CARD-PAYMENT. AND Note,with this
ATM MASTER-Card you can withdraw your TOTAL FUND payment from any ATM
MACHINE in the whole World without any interference from your
government asking for extra fee by the total sum of $9.000usd per day
with the required contact information where you want them to deliver
your total fund valid atm visa master card thus:
1. Your full name:
2. Direct telephone number:
3. Your current home / office address:
4. Your current age:
5. Your current occupation:
5. A scan copy of your passport id Or Driving licence.
Contact: MR.MALIK IYATAH...
Email: ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) .. / . ( email@example.com ) . (
D/Line: +229 94 69-67-33.