fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "affidavit " (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "mariam abacha" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Dr Mrs Mariam Abacha <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 15:51:54 +0100
Subject: DR MRS MARIAM ABACHA.PLEASE TREAT THIS MATTER SECRETLY MRS. J. FACHLERCHEU
I feel obliged writing this mail to you. Do accept my apology if this mail
does not suit your personal or business ethics considering the fact that
there wasn't earlier information regarding my mail. I'm establishing direct
communication with you soliciting for your assistance and co-operation .
How are you? Hope every member of your family is fine today. Compliments of
Well after our general meeting of all Abacha,family, I have decided that
you should treat this transaction strictly confidential. Now the secret
arrangement is that you should receive first $30 million deposited in a
number account with the SKYE BANK PLC before you will conclude the
$35,000,000 with the securities company.
You are to communicate and conclude this transaction with my son Sadiq
Abacha together with this my family friend Alhaji Mohammed who made every
effort during the Ramadan Hajji at Mecca Saudi Arabia to convince Retired
Col. Tarka to accept giving us a loan of $USD$9.5M dollars.
Retired Col. Tarka is one of the wanted officers who served my late husband
and he is now hiding in Saudi Arabia in order to escape further probe by
the Obasanjo/Yar?dua Government. In fact, after he heard of my predicament
in Nigeria from Alhaji Alihu Mohammed who met him at Mecca during the last
Ramadan festival at Saudi, he has promised to loan me $USD$9.5M dollars on
condition that I shall give him the original copy of my late husband?
certificate of occupancy of the Enugu Estate.
Sincerely speaking, the only remaining hope now left for me is this $30
million dollars and the $35,000,000 now with the security company which my
son Mohammed revealed this secret to Saudi on 24 March, 2004 the day he was
granted bail the second time in the sum of $100,000,000 surety for another
111 frame-up count charges, for financial misappropriation by the
Obasanjo/Yar?dua Government. But now he is undergoing treatment at Kano
Hospital . Although he told Sadiq that this $30 million dollars was
deposited in a numbered account with the Skye Bank Plc and for your
information, my new lawyer have secretly concluded every necessary
arrangement with the Bank Manager for easy transfer to your account as soon
as you received this $USD$9.5M dollars.
So please send me your contact address, your company? name and address,
international passport aS to enable my lawyer procure all necessary paper
work and sworn an affidavit on your behalf which will enable skye Bank
change your name as the sole beneficiary of this $30 million. I believe you
may have had about the recent seizure of my late husband $300 million at
So,(as you are aware that we were banned not to travel out from my country
Nigeria) now my arrangement is that my son Sadiq will smuggle himself out
from Nigeria to travel to Saudi Arabia through a neighboring country -
Benin Republic with the original copy of the Certificate of Occupancy so as
to sign every necessary documents/agreement with Rtd. Col. Tarka and
received the $1,800000 dollars. Now all you need to do is to ring my son
Sadiq Abacha with this phone number +2348027060360 as to discuss with him
and guide him accordingly so that you will agree with him on how best he
could fly in to your country from Saudi Arabia and deliver the $$USD$9.5M to
you cash as to enable you use part of this money to conclude the
transaction with my lawyer Barr. Yunus Usman. Please note to avoid my
government seizing this money from Sadiq on his way back to Nigeria from
Saudi that is why I decided that Sadiq should deliver this money to you in
Meanwhile, once I hear from you I will forward to you Transaction Agreement
for your study and endorsement and also Trade Development Agreement (TDA).
I will like you to send to me today if possible through my e-mail address
your necessary particulars i.e. contact details, your mobile phone/Fax,
your company name/address. So that I will send you my family pictures for
your identification and retention.
Please call Sadiq now, he is waiting for your call. I will send you details
of the secret arrangement made by my lawyer Barrister Yunus Usman for you
to receive $USD$5.5M and the $30 million without delay.
Thank you and may the Almighty Allah protect and bless you and your family.
Please do get back to me so that i will send you the detials secret
arrangement made by my Lawyer for you to receive this $USD$9.5M and the
$30million without delay.
Dr Mrs Mariam Abacha
+234 904 907 4827