fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk boxes" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "a diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr Steven Strickland" (may be fake)
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2021 21:29:09 -0700
"Your Abandoned Consignment is Still Unclaimed"
My name is Mr.Steven Strickland, i am a United Nations Forensic Expert and the Director Of Inspection , United Nations Inspection Unit. We are
currently in Boston Logan International Airport, Boston, United
States of America for official inspection while i discovered an
abandoned shipment from UK via a Diplomat with your name/email tagged
on it, when i personally scanned the trunk boxes, it revealed an
undisclosed sum of money in a Metallic Trunk Boxes weighing
approximately 25kg each. On my assumption, each of the two trunk boxes
will contain more than $5M or above in each.
On further investigation, i discovered that the consignment was
abandoned due to wrong declaration of the content, also the Diplomat
inability to pay for Non Inspection Fees, because he did not know the
content of the boxes.
I will arrange for the boxes to be moved out of this Airport to your
address, once we are through in paying the non inspection charges and
I will personally deliver the trunk boxes to your address with the
help of our security personnel to provide the security it needs to
Now i want to strike a deal with you, in your acceptance i will
proceed on this, I have the capacity to deliver the trunk boxes to you
after the release of your consignment with my status as a United
Nations Inspection Agent.
You will give me 10% of the amount in the consignment and you take the
remaining 90% when we put heads together and cleared it after we put
heads together and offset/pay the Compulsory Non inspection Charges as
If you are not in agreement with this proposal, please disregard
it.But if you can meet with my condition, then we have a deal. I can
get everything concluded within 24 to 48 hours and proceed to your
address for delivery upon your acceptance to assist me pay part of the
Non inspection charges.
Write me on this email if you agree and accept to work with me:(
email@example.com ) if you accepts to work with me.Send me
your cell phone number and your address and your full name for further
You can as well call me on this number (+1) 713-766-8542(CALLS AND SMS ONLY) if you wish
to speak with me but if you call and could not reach me on phone note
that i am on the field for inspection, So leave your information so
that i can reach you when i am back in the office.
Dr Steven Strickland
Director Inspection Unit
United Nations Inspection Agent.
Boston Logan International Airport,t.
Unicef Boston - Harborside Dr, Boston, MA 02128