fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "foreign remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: ATM Card Fund <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 08:13:38 -0700
Subject: Congratulations Dear Winner
Your MasterCardÂ®/VISA Card Loaded with $15,500.000.00 USD Is Ready
We hereby officially notifying you about the present arrangement to
pay you, your over due Winning Prize/inheritance fund which you could
not complete the process of releasing your transfer pin code through
the Digitized Payment System. and you have spent a lot of money and a
lot of time sending money to different people just to make sure you
receive your fund and after all your effort you received nothing. We
have decided to pay your funds through (ATM VISA CREDIT CARD) This
arrangement was initiated/constituted by the World Bank, United
Nation, European Union, African Union, together with Paris Club, due
to fraudulent activities going on within the world today.
The World Bank, United Nations, European Union, African Union and
Paris Club introduced this payment arrangement to enable our Contract
,Winning Prize, inheritance beneficiary to receive their fund without
any interference. The ATM VISA Credit Card was contracted and powered
by GOLD CARD WORLD WIDE.
The ATM VISA CREDIT CARD is credited with the sum of$15,500.000.00 USD
(Fifteen Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars), it is
already loaded in the ATM VISA CREDIT CARD which you can use to access
your fund in any ATM Stand/location worldwide and remember that the
maximum withdrawal daily limit is Ten Thousand United States
Dollars(US$10,000.00) we have concluded the delivery arrangement with
the below courier services companies and their delivery time is stated
Note that you will be liable to pay the delivery fee of your ATM VISA
Credit Card with any of the above courier companies of your choice
before the delivery will take place to your destination address.
Kindly provide me with the below details in your response to this
email and let me know which courier company you would like us to use
for the shipment of your ATM VISA Credit Card to your destination home
1. Valid Delivery Address:
2. Full Names:
3. Phone Number:
CONGRATULATIONS IN ADVANCE.
Director Foreign Remittance Department
United Bank for Africa (UBA) Bank Benin Plc