fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Norman Saleem"
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 00:17:06 -1200
Subject: Dear friend contact my secretary his e-mail email@example.com.
Dear friend contact my secretary for the delivering of your VISA CARD value sum of $2.500,000.00.USD.
I'm sorry but happy to inform you about my success in getting those funds transferred under the co-operation of a new partner from Paraguay though I tried my best to involve you in the Gold/Diamond business but God decided the whole situations. Presently am in United Arab Emirates for investment projects with my own share of the total sum of the money. Meanwhile, I didn't forget your past efforts and attempts to assist me in transferring those funds despite that everything failed us somehow. Now contact my secretary in Burkina Faso. Mr. Nelson Salah by name: His e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ask him to send you the VISA CARD total sum of $2.500,000.00.USD. Which I kept for your compensation for all the past efforts and attempt to assist me in this matter. I deeply appreciated your efforts at that time very much. So feel free and keep in touched with my secretary; Mr. Nelson Salah and instruct him where to send the VISA CARD value sum of $2.500,000.00.USD to you. Now this amount is me and the new partner contribute and offer you this amount $1.500.000.00.USD. Is from my own share while my new partner supported you also with sum of $ 1000000.USD. From his own share also because I explain the whole facts to him that you are the first person I contacted that wanted to assist me while you could not make it and he said okay there's no problem.
So you have to keep the whole secret about my success, because I believe only you know how I made this money so try to keep everything secret. I hope you understand the reason why this huge amount of funds was kept for you? Please do let me know immediately you receive the VISA CARD so that we can share the joy after all the sufferings at that time; In this moment of time, I'm very busy here because of the investment projects which myself and the new partner are having at hand, finally;
Remember that I have already forward the instruction to the secretary on your behalf to receive that money, so feel free to keep in touch with him, so that he will send the VISA CARD value sum of $2.500,000.00.USD. Two Million Five hundred Thousand United State Dollars to you without any delay.
Mr. Norman Saleem.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.