fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "@diplomats.com" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dip. Agent Eric Brown" <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 00:55:59 +0100
Subject: OFFICE OF THE U.S FEDEX DELIVERY COMPANY.
OFFICE OF THE U.S FEDEX DELIVERY COMPANY.
FEDEX OFFICE PRINT & SHIP CENTER IMPRIMEUR.
TAQUERIA LA PLAZA 1801 STUTTER ST #100
CONTACT PERSON: AGENT ERIC BROWM
PHONE NO: (+1) 201603 8442
REPLY EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
I acknowledge receipt of your email so without wasting much time, I
have to introduce
myself to you this is last warning. I am AGENT ERIC BROWM. UK citizen
FEDEX COMPANY Permanent Representative of the UK FEDEX WORKER for
American as whole .
We did received some letter from FBI USA here, that your Award
some so called claims coordinators has been extorting money from
they will agree to sign the funds release and make the funds available
to you due, to
that regards a meeting was held to make sure that the files of your
package box are
being looked into and also check out, And that was when we actually
found out that
your package box contains the sum of $3.7million had not been deliver
to your doorstep.
To that effect we the FEDEX DELIVERY COMPANY here in U.S CALIFORNIA
decided to help
beneficiary's to deliver the sum of $3.7million to your home address
anytime, You don't have to pay any other charge/fees apart from the
courier charges here
in USA , I want you to bear in mind that we are only trying to help
you because I believe
that you have been ruining with the wrong people for a longtime now
and yet you have not
receive your package box and note that arrangement of this consignment
box have been
issue Us custom and FBI advice us to secure all property in this FEDEX
DELIVERY COMPANY ,
I also want to inform you that we have secure all documents to help
you receive your
FUNDS PACKAGE BOX without any other delays, so you don't have anything
to worry about.
So to enable us dispatch your package via the above stated express
channels for delivery
system kindly see below for the charges required for delivery,
therefore we urgent you
to make the payment of $50 as soon as possible to avoid more increase
of your delivery
charge, which also serve as the courier charge. Please note that all
payment for delivery
should be made via Steam Gift Card, iTunes Gift Card or Google Play
Gift Card. You should
got $50 Gift Card only so that your delivery will commence the same day.
I advise that you try your possible best to come up with the $50 Gift
Card as soon as
possible so that your parcel can leave for dispatch before 12 hours
according to the
agreement paper, Hope you understand? And on the receipt of your Gift
your package will be set for delivery which you will receive within
hope the above information is helpful to you, should you have any
further queries do not
hesitate to write to us. Please make sure you furnish us with your
address to enable us proceed because once the Gift Card is confirm we
will deliver within
12hours from this California.
Kindly get back to us and also with the requested information's, am
going to help you
complete this transaction if you want us to proceed on this matter
with urgent don,t fail
to send the courier charge today.
Dip. Agent Eric Brown
of UK FEDEX WORKER for American