fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are required to pay " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "and cash it" (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Robert E. Marling Jr" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 17:12:05 +0900 (JST)
Subject: Dear Customer,
The Wood-Forest National Bank Texas controlling department has issued a
security transfer CODE which is (WF/200/105/21), the Authentication
section code of this bank concludes the verification of your file. After
going through all the documents of claim received by this department
with justification and verification from the global strategy United
States we are completely satisfied and you have been confirmed.
Considering the volume of your payment, it is right for us to seek for
the approval of some money regulatory Boards here in United States
before we can carry out the Transfer of an amount of such magnitude to
anybody, otherwise any such transfer will be stopped by the Authorities
of Wood-Forest National Bank, and the International Monetary Fund (IMF),
Approval Documents from the concerned Authorities here in United States
are needed to avoid stoppage once the Transfer is carried out and for
that reason, you are required to pay the sum of $25 as this money will
be used by our Bank Attorney to Obtain all the necessary documents that
will enable the final Transfer of your Funds. which worth sum of $15,5m
Wood Forest National Bank hereby states officially that the required
payment will remain the only and final monetary obligation required from
you prior to the final transfer of your funds, hence any further charges
will be our bank's full responsibility till final transfer of your
payment is made to your bank account.
We await your urgent response to obtain the remaining documents through
our bank Attorney, kindly send the funds directly to our attorney via
Google play Card or Steam Wallet Gift Card.
Go to any Walmart Store or CVS Pharmacy and get a Google play Card of
$25 only scratch and send a scan copy of the Card bearing the codes for
BELOW ARE THE APPROVED MEANS OF RECEIVING YOUR MONEY AND IT CHARGE
RATES. You are to CHOOSE one of the OPTIONS Below
(1) Bank to Bank Transfer:.........Charge Rate: $50
(2) ATM Card Delivery:..........Charge Rate: $25
(3) Cashier Check Delivery:......Charge Rate $25
NB: THIS TRANSACTION IS BEING MONITORED BY THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
IN ORDER TO GUARDS US FOR INTERNET IMPOSTORS.
Your Designated Bank account details for the Transfer;
Bank Name and Address...
If at all you do not have Bank Account or you don't wish to to receive
this fund in your own Account, we can open an online Account on your
behalf with our Bank and send the Online Banking details to you
including the ATM CARD and CASHIER CHECK which you can Transfer out
money to any Bank of your choice, use the ATM CARD to pay bills and make
withdrawals in any ATM Machine around or You can fill up the check and
cash it in any Bank of your choice with a valid Identification but this
process cost $25.00
Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve your banking
needs.Please Note That if You Find This email In Your Spam Please No
That Is Due To Low Network.
Robert E. Marling Jr.
Chairman, Chief Executive Officer
Woodforest National Bank
text or call +1 253 387 8208 add on whatsapp +229 6604 1232
EMAIL; ( firstname.lastname@example.org )