fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr Ted Sheppe" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 01:28:47 +0200
Subject: VITAL INFORMATION
Are you in need of a Loan/Funding for a project? Have you been trying to obtain a Loan from any of the Banks or Loan Companies and got Ripped off and they have refused to grant you the Loan because of bad credit? We offer all types of non-recourse Loan and funding at a low interest Rate of 2% both long and short terms.
The categories of loan /financial funding offered include but not limited to business loan, Personal Loan, Company Loan, Mortgage Loan , debt consolidation and financial funding for both Turkey and Mega projects Etc from a minimum of Euro/US$1 Million to Euro /US$ 5Billion Maximum.
kindly get in touch for further details and procedures. I will let you know what information needed to obtain the proffered financing from Istanbul Turkey to provide loan at any capacity for business Investment or joint ventures under this Covid 19 we are ready to release any amount to assist your business.
VALID LOAN: To lean more about health-care financial products and business solutions for new financial and general inquiries contact me immediately.
Thanks for your reputable intentions to create lucrative loan business.
Mr Ted Sheppe