fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: SunTrustBank <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2021 15:50:16 -0700
Subject: Re: COVID-19 PAYMENT NOTIFICATION.
Re: COVID-19 PAYMENT NOTIFICATION.
This is Adaora Umeoji,DEPUTY MANAGING DIRECTOR,SunTrust Bank in
alliance with the Economic Community of West
African States (ECOWAS) Head Office Nigeria has
been working towards the total eradication of fraudsters and scam in
here in Nigeria With the help of the United States Government. We have
been able to track down so many of this scammers in various parts of
(NIGERIA) and they are all in our custody here in Lagos Nigeria,
meanwhile during the process of arrest, We were able to recover some
funds from the prosecuted scammer.With this great achievement,
the Anti-crime commission of United State Government/Federal Government
Of Nigeria have ordered that the money recovered from these Scammers
be shared among 100 people whom
there email appear in the list with Commission. This email is directed
to you because your email address was found in one of the file and
computer hard disk recovered from the prosecuted scammers there in our
custody. You are therefore being compensated with the sum of USD$1Million
Dollars.We have also arrested all those who claimed to be Barristers,
Bank Officials,Lottery Agents, Person or group of Person's who claim
to have funds in their custody that belonged to you or want you to be
the Next of kin of such funds which do not exist ,Since your email
appeared among the lucky Beneficiaries who will receive a compensation
of $1Million Dollars, which we have arranged all payment to be made to
you through Swift Card.(ATM).Delivery
Be inform that your MasterCard ATM is ready for delivery with card
Number: 5536 1267 5348 1009, which is to be attached after we receive
the reconfirmation of the stated information and It has been approved
and upgraded in your favor by Ministry of Finance.Meanwhile, your
Secret Pin Number is 6312. The ATM Card Value is USD$1Million
Only. You are advised for a maximum withdrawal valid of USD$5.000.00
daily. It has been accredited in your favor for shipment. We are
mandated to pay those scammed victims from Asia,America,and Europe,
your Name and Email Address where among listed as one of the lucky
beneficiaries due to be compensated. we are only doing this to retain
the good image of this country Nigeria and West Africa, Do revert back to
us with your co-ordinates listed below information to enable us
educate you on the modalities for a
successful claims of your USD$1Million compensation. Details below for
Your Full Name_______________________
Please do feel free to direct your email back with required
information to person in charged of ATM Program/Delivery SUNTRUST BANK
PLC, the swift card has been specially prepared to enable you withdraw
your USD$1Million in any ATM machine in any part of the world and you are
advised a maximum withdraw of Five Thousand Dollars Only per day, due
to security reasons, so you are therefore advised to direct all your
mails to SunTrust Bank Plc with the required information as stated
These will enhance the immediate processing of this transaction to a
DEPUTY MANAGING DIRECTOR
SunTrust Bank Plc
Tel: +234 701 944 2115
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-Mail is intended only for the use of
the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from
Disclosure under applicable law.