fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "you are required to pay " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic delivery" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- mr. david munro director foreign remittance email: email@example.com email: firstname.lastname@example.org phone no:+2347015790465 (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Paul Ngwuma" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 02:47:52 -0700
Subject: Credit Alert SURE
You Might Be Very Verse With The Swift Credit Card System Through The (A.T.M) Automated Teller Machine System That Allows Beneficiaries Direct Access To Make Withdrawal Of Fund From Any International Banks In The World.
The Federal Government Under The Ministry Of Finance With The World Bank And IMF(International Monitory Fund) Has Adopted This Administrative Measure Owing To Various Complains/Petitions Received From Beneficiaries Owning To The Delays In Receiving Their Contract/Inheritance Fund As Expected.
Please be informed that this is a real and not a bogus card so be rest assured that the money will be cleared immediately a withdrawal is affected. I have made all the necessary arrangements to have card delivered to you at your nominated mailing address. All other documents such as your recommendation letter and certificate from the Economic Finance Unit confirming that these funds are fully free of any liens or encumbrances and are clean, clear and of non-criminal origin shall also be sent to you.
This ATM Card Contains Maximum of $2,500,000.00 Million Dollars. And you have a daily withdrawal limit of? ($25,000.00) TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS
For your information, you are to bear the cost of mailing the ATM to you, the ATM Card will be mailed via a World Diplomatic Delivery Service to ensure that card is delivered to you wherever you are anywhere in the world, However, before I proceed, I would like you to re-confirm the below details.
First Name ......
Social Security Number ......
Pass Port No......
Phone Number ........
Fax Number .............
Indicate Your Address.
Zip / Postal Code*:........
Email Address*: ............
Confirm Email Address*:
The Options, Together With Their Associated Conditions Are Presented Below. You Are Required To Pay The Necessary Courier Charges Via iTunes gift card or Google play gift card then send us the code pin numbers by attach the copys To Enable Us Send You Your Parcel.
Another option which is faster and easy deposit cash without any further delay payment you are advice to go ahead and check any Bitcoin Depot ATM MACHINE store office over there and get the Cash deposit via Bitcion details Below: ( 1NUGtt6qPLQ7BSRctQr94B6WonyNc683Ud)
1). FedEx Delivery Company Duration for Delivery: 72 Hours Amount USD$130.00
2). UPS Delivery Company Duration for Delivery Amount Next day Delivery USD$150.00
3). DHL Delivery Company Duration for Delivery Amount 24 Hours of Delivery USD $255.00
Below is your paying officer from Standard Bank Limited ,
Contact Person Name: Mr. David Munro Director Foreign Remittance
Mr. Paul Ngwuma