fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- when distributing money to charities. email me at email@example.com for more information. may the grace and blessings of god (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Delight GEORGE" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2021 13:17:14 -0700
Subject: CAN YOU HELP ME
Greetings in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. I'm Mrs.Delight George, deceased 50-year-old widow of Mr. George. I am a Christian convert. My husband is in the oil export business and I worked as the CEO of Park Fuel Corporation. Doing business and making money was our priority, and we didnât care much about other people. But since I lost my husband and my two children in a car accident seven years ago, I found a new desire to help orphans in orphanages /widows / refugees and caring families.
When my late husband was alive, we deposited 12,500,000 euros in a bank in the country where my husband worked. I'm in the hospital, where am been treated for esophageal cancer, and the doctor diagnosed me and told me privately what to expect, building a life inevitable. He says I canât last more than six months because of the rapid growth in stages and the unbearable pain that comes with it.
My last hope is to see this money donated to charity because my family and friends have stolen my property since my illness, I canât live in pain to leave this great responsibility to any of them. I choose you after visiting the website while praying about it.
I am ready to donate the sum of the EUR 12 500 000 for development and helping the poor, homeless and less privileges in your country.
I don't have kids to call mine. Please accept these funds and see that my last wish comes true by spending it on orphanages / mothers / less privileged and charities. I hire you honestly to make sure that these funds are used only for this purpose, good one that you can agree with me, and remember that these are the demands of a dying woman who has a life in the Lord. Now I understand that wealth without God is vanity and meaningless. Always remember that.
Please please in the name of God, accept these funds deposited in my husbandâs name and use them for charity. You are free to use your discretion to distribute money and feel free, as well as reimburse yourself for spending money when distributing money to charities.
Email me at email@example.com for more information. May the grace and blessings of God be with you and your family
I'm waiting for your reply.
Reply to my inbox:firstname.lastname@example.org