fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Azim PremjI Foundation" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2021 15:25:31 -0700
Subject: DONATION OF $1.5 MILLION USD FROM AZIM PREMJI!! 45
Greetings to You From Mr Azim PremjI Foundation and have been gifted
$1.5 MILLION USD. Contact me at this email for your claim:
I hope this information meet you well as I know you will be curious to
know why/how I selected you to receive a sum of $1.500,000,00 USD, our
information below is 100% legitimate, please see the link below:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azim_Premji or You Can Google my name for
more information:( Azim Premji ).
I Mr. Azim Premji and my foundation decided to donate the sum of
$1.500,000,00 USD to you as part of our charity project to improve the
10 lucky individuals all over the world from our $150 Million Usd I and
My foundation Mapped out to help people. We prayed and searched over the
internet for assistance and i saw your profile on Microsoft email owners
list and picked you. My foundation and i have decided to make sure this
is put on the internet for the world to see. as you could see from the
webpage above,am not getting any younger and you can imagine having no
much time to live. although am a Billionaire investor and we have helped
some charity organizations from our Fund.
You see after taken care of the needs of our immediate family
members,Before we die we decided to donate the remaining of our Billions
to other individuals around the world in need, the local fire
department, the red cross, Covid effected patients, hospitals around the
world, and some other organizations in USA, Asia and Europe that fight
cancer, alzheimer's and
diabetes and the bulk of the funds deposited with our payout bank of
this charity donation. we have kept just 30% of the entire sum to our
self for the remaining days because i am no longer strong am sick and am
writing you from hospital computer and me and my wife will be traveling
to Germany for Treatment.
To facilitate the payment process of the funds ($1.500,000,00 USD) which
have been donated solely to you, you are to send me
your full names.................
your contact address.........
your personal telephone number...............
so that i can forward your payment information to you immediately. I am
hoping that you will be able to use the money wisely and judiciously
over there in your City. please you have to do your part to also
alleviate the level of poverty in your region, help as many you can help
once you have this money in your personal account because that is the
only objective of donating this money to you in the first place.
Thank you for accepting our offer, we are indeed grateful You Can Google
my name for more information: Azim PremjI Foundation
Mr Azim PremjI
Managing Director And
CEO Azim PremjI Foundation