fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Evelyn Jaxon" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2021 13:45:45 +0100
Subject: Donation fund from Mrs. Evelyn Jaxon
Greetings My Dear, How are you doing?
I am Mrs. Evelyn Jaxon, I am married to Dr. Natheniel Jaxon From Ivory
Coast, I and my late husband were into Estate management and also a
government building contractor before my husband's earlier death on January
26 2012. We were married for eleven years without a child due my fibroid
problem. He died after a brief illness that lasted for only four days.
I am writing to seek your consent to conduct humanitarian projects, I am
sufferring from cancer that prevents me from realizing my dreams. The
doctor informed me that my days are numbered because of my health
degrading. That is why I want to Send these sum of money to you (Dollars
2,800,000.00)So that you can use it to help the Orphanages,homeless and
Widows. 35% for you while you use 65% for the project,if you think you can
give these poor children and poor widows a glimmer of hope and joy then let
me know by replying to me.
Thanks for your cooperation and assistance.
I need your Name, occupation, Address and Phone Number and Age..
Thanks and Remain blessed in the Lord.
I remain your sister in Christ.
Mrs. Evelyn Jaxon