fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- nederlandse staatsloterij paleisstraat 5 2514 ja the hague email@example.com http://www.staatsloterij.nl international (Mail2netherlands; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs.Sandra Vogt" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 22 May 2021 03:24:32 -0700
Subject: You Won !!
De Nederlandse Staatsloterij
2514 JA The Hague
INTERNATIONAL PROMOTION / PRIZE AWARD DEPT.
REF Number : FLA2076137
BATCH Number : 03/9364235/03
TICKET Number : 816372
SERIAL Number : 5263/03
LUCKY Number : 9-11-37-19-21-3 4
RE: WINNING FINAL NOTIFICATION
We are pleased to inform you of the result of the Lottery Winners
International programs held on the 03th of January 2021 Your E-
mail address attached to Ticket number 816372 with Serial
number 5263/03 drew the lucky numbers 9-11-37-19- 21-34
which consequently won in the 1st category, you have therefore
been approved for a lump sum payout of 570,000.00 Euro covid-19
Bonus, This is from a total cash prize of 500,000,000.00 million
shared amongst Ten International Lucky Winners in the Category A
+ (Plus). CONGRATULATIONS !!!
This lottery is a promotional stunt for Staatsloterij , (An
Internet lottery company) trying to create awareness to the
general public of its existence. All participants were selected
through a computer ballot system drawn from over 100,000,000
companies and 200,000,000 individual email addresses and names
from all over the world, as part of our international promotions
program, which we conduct twice every end of the year.
Be informed that your documents have to pass our authority to
obtain a clearance, which shall be attached to your document in
readiness of the subsequent onward transfer into your nominated
bank account with 24 hours of completion of the authentication.
Due to the possible mix up of names and numbers, we ask that you
keep this award from the public notice until your claim has been
processed and your money remitted to your bank account . This is
in conformity with the latest transfer regulations signed by the
Organization / Netherlands Government since this is part of our
Security protocol measures to avoid double claiming and
unwarranted abuse of this program by some participants / non
NOTE: That all winnings must be claimed not later than 29th of
May 2021. After this date all unclaimed funds will be included in
the next stake. Anybody under the age of 18 is automatically
To file for your claim, please contact our / your processing
The DOLLAR ACCREDITED PAYMENT AGENT
Note: In order to avoid unnecessary delays and complications,
please do forward your Full Name, Address and Tel / Fax number to
your processing agent. So you are to act fast in the claiming of
your funds, for delays will compel us to disperse your funds, in
other words, we shall divert your funds as stated above. In order
to avoid unnecessary delays and mistakes, kindly remember to
quote your reference number and batch numbers in all
Furthermore, there should be any change of address do inform our
/ your agent as soon as possible.
Finally, we call on you to make sure that you note every letter
clearly as stated for we will not be held responsible should
there be any complications in this transaction due to laxity on
Congratulations once more from our members of staff and thank you
for being part of our promotional program
State Lottery Lottery Coordinator