fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "there is no risk involved" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
Fraud email example:
From: Ahmet Aksoy <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2021 08:52:41 -0700
Hello friend how are you today, hope this pandemic is not stressing your life, i believe you will accept me with a good faith,I was pushed to contact you and see how best we help each other.
My name is Aksoy a Bank worker here in a Bank in Turkey. I believe it is the wish of God for me to come across you now. I have an important discussion I wish to share with you, which I believe will impress you, because it is in connection and you are going gain from it.
One citizen of your ountry who died with his entire family of covid 19 had a fixed deposit with our bank, valued at Eleven Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars, Sadly he and his son who was the next of kin in the account has also died.
Management is yet to know about his death, I knew about it because he was my friend and I happen to be his account officer. I have been looking for a means to handle the situation, because if my Bank Directors get to know He is dead and his next of kin too,
They will corner the funds for their personal use, so I don't want such to happen. That was why when I saw you I was happy and I am now seeking your cooperation to present you as Next of Kin/ Heir to the deceased,
There is no risk involved the transaction will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of law.
It is better that we claim the money, than allowing the Bank Directors to take it, they are rich already.
I am not a greedy person, so I am requesting we share the funds sixty/foruty, sixty for you, to both parties, my share will assist me with daughter who requires a very expensive surgery which has taken my life savings and use the proceeds for charity which has been my dream.
Let me know your thoughts on my proposal. Please, do treat this information as confidential. I have more to write to you about the
details once I receive your urgent response. Have a nice day and God bless. expecting your urgent response, please write me at firstname.lastname@example.org