fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "international remittance department" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "executive governor" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "central bank of nigeria" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "certified bank draft" (Beware of any scheme that involves cashing checks or money orders and then wiring a portion of the funds somewhere - you'll be liable for the entire amount if the checks or money orders turn out to be fake, even after you have received and forwarded cash. If it's a lottery prize, remember that real lotteries do not pay large prizes by check. They wire the money directly to your bank account and you do not pay for that. Many scammers promise a large check only in order to then demand payment of courier fees for a fake courier service. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: "Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)" <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2021 04:14:50 -0700
Subject: Transaction Code: (805)
*TINUBU SQUARE,VICTORIA ISLAND,LAGOS-NIGERIA *
*FROM THE DESK OF: Godwin Emefiele*
* Executive Governor,Central Bank Of Nigeria (CBN),*
*International Remittance Department,*
*Corporate Headquarters: # CBN House, Tinubu Square,*
*213 Eleke Crescent-Victoria Island, Marina,*
*Lagos, Nigeria, West Africa.*
*P.O.Box 55037 Falomo*
*Ikoyi Lagos Island Marina.*
*CONTRACT NO: NNPC/PED/876CX - WR/KAD/2021*
*CONTRACT AMOUNT: USD200 MILLION US DOLLARS 2020 INTEREST RATE OF $900.00
ATM PAYMENT .*
*Transaction Co**de: (805)*
Attention: Beneficiary ,
Good News .
Nigeria Government have given Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Go ahead order
to release your 2020 Interest Rate payment of US$900,000.00 that comes out
from your US$200 Million with Washington Trust Bank in United states as
interest last year so that as soon as you receive your Interest Rate
payment of US$900,000.00 you will have enough to finance your $200 million
with Washington Trust Bank without any more delay .
Your interest Rate payment will be released to your via Atm card or
Certified Bank Draft so you are advised to choose Atm card or Certified
Bank Draft and reconfirm your residential address /cell Phone and attach
any of your Id card to enable us to dispatch your Atm card of $900,000.00
to your address as soon as you responded back with your delivering address
You must have to pay for DHL fees of ($150) only to enable the dispatch
officer to dispatch your last year Interest Rate payment of $900,000.00 Atm
card so that as soon as you receive it you will have enough to finance your
$200 million with Washington Trust Bank in the USA.
DHl fees of $150 are the only fees this payment will cost you and it must
be dispatched to your address without more delay .
I am giving you 100% Guarantee that this time around it is a must that you
will receive your Interest Rate of $900,000.00 latest this week on your
doorstep so that you will have enough to finance your $200 million with
Washington Trust Bank in the states .
Follow instructions for your own Good .
Congratulations once again .
Call me now on my Cell Phone : +234-803-500-4247 WhatsApp Number you can
also add me, let chart now on WhatsApp .
*[image: Image result for Mr. Godwin Emefiele] *
*OFFICIALLY SIGNED *
*Cell Phone: *
* +234-803-500-4247 CALL ME NOW OR ADD IN WHATSAP LET TALK .*
*REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT CENTRAL BANK OF NIGERIA. NOTE: BECAUSE OF** IMPOST**ORS,
WE HEREBY ISSUE YOU WITH OUR CODE OF CONDUCT, WHICH IS**(805) SO YOU HAVE
TO INDICATE THIS CODE WHEN CONTACTING THIS OFFICE.*