fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr.John Kofi" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2021 15:29:39 +0100
I am contacting you regarding of our company urgent need for Nuga
Liquid Oil, is a dietary food supplement used by veterinarian doctors
and medical doctors and it is mainly produced in Australia, it is
found in Australia recently and It is the major product our company
has been using since 2014. Our company is currently buying these
products from a supplier in Australia at a very high price, Recently I
found out that these same products is sold in India at a cheaper price
than (Australia price) and I do not wish to let anyone in our company
know about this price in India because I have interest in doing this
Please can I introduce you to our company CEO so that you will contact
him and increase the price for him, tell him that you are the end
supply of Nuga Liquid Oil from your country because I don't want the
CEO to have the contact of this new supplier in India so that after
the supply you and me will share the profit, I am from Ghana in west
And make sure you write back with this id; email@example.com
kindly get back to me if you are interested