fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "a security company " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "claims agent" (real lotteries do not use a "claim agent" / "fiduciary agent")
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: 15 May 2021 01:35:24 +0300
CONTACT ADDRESS: CAPITAN HAY
53 PISO 3, 28020 MADRID,SPAIN.
FROM:THE DESK OF THE DIRECTOR
REF NO: SR/2551256/003/KC
BATCH NO: KM/00750013/ESP
ATTENTION :Beneficiary ,
Following the late result release of
LOTERIA/PRIMITIVA/INTERNATIONAL PROMOTION PROGRAM held on 27TH
APRIL. 2021, Which was due to mix up of some names and numbers,
after vital verifications the results were later released today
Your Email was entered as a dependent which attached to ticket
number 031-1127-841 with serial number 126-03 drew the lucky
numbers of 12-35-48-17-21 which consequently won the lottery in
the first category.
You have therefore been approved for a lump sum payout of EURO
1,250.000.00 ( ONE MILLION TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY THOUSAND EUROS
ONLY) in cash credited to file NO:SR/2551256/003/KC and Batch
This is from a total cash prize of Euro 80,158,100.00 (EIGHTY
MILLION,ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY-EIGHT THOUSAND,ONE HUNDRED EUROS
ONLY) Shared among the (12) international winners in this
In order to provide maximum security of your winning fund,your
fund is now deposited with a security company in Madrid and
insured in your name under article 72 section 4 sub 155
constitution of Spanish which authorized all foreign winning
prize to be insured to avoid act of extortion and the insurance
bond can not be break until the beneficiary received his winning
Due to mix up of some numbers, names and to check the activities
of false practices, we ask that you keep this award away from
public notice until your claim has been processed and money
remitted to your choice of account as this is part of our
security protocol to avoid double claiming and unwarranted
exploitation of this program by other participants.
To begin your lottery claim please contact your claiming agent
DON JENS NEVILLE, Foreign operations manager of MAPFRE SEGUROS
S.L. on Tel:+34 632 647 554, Email:email@example.com ,for
the processing and remittance of your winning prize money to a
designation of your choice.
Remember all prize money must be claimed not later than 11TH
JUNE. 2021. After this date fund will be returned to the
MINISTERIO DE ECONOMIA Y HACIENDA as unclaimed.
Also,be informed that 10% of your Lottery Winning belongs to
MAPFRE SEGUROS S.L. because they entered your name for this draw
as lottery agent and they are your claims agent. This 10% will be
remitted to them after you have received your winning as stated
by the Insurance Bond Policy.
Congratulations once again from all members of our staff and
thanks for being part of this year international promotions
program. Send to us the following details below for the
processing of your prize.
Date of Birth....................................
A copy of your identification....................
MRS.ROSARIO HERMAN SANCHEZ
PROMOTION DEPT.LOTTO NATIONAL