fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a "New Partner from Paraguay" scam.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (AOL; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mark Ugo <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2021 02:54:11 -0400
How are you today? Itâs been long I heard from you.Well, I just want
to use this medium to thank you very much for your earlier assistance
in trying to help me receive the funds totaling (USD$22
MILLION),without any positive outcome.I am obliged to inform you that
I have succeeded in getting the fund transferred with the help of a
new partner from Asia. Everything was perfectly done because we strike
a deal with one of the accountant who works with the Federal Ministry
of Finance (FMF)and she rendered a tremendous help to us. My new
partner initiated this idea and everything worked out successfully.
In appreciation of your earlier assistance to me in receiving the
total sum.I have decided to compensate you with the sum of
$1,000,000.00 (One Million US Dollars) this is from my own share. I
did this simply to show you that it is good to do good things to the
right people always. Presently,I am in Jakarta for investment project
with my own share under the advice of my partner, your fund is into
international draft so contact my secretary with below stated
information direct her on how to send the draft to you. I will be
sending you e-mail from time to time to know if you have received your
draft or not.
Please do let me know immediately if you receive your draft so that we
can share the joy together after all the sufferings at that time. at
the moment, I am very busy here in Jakarta because of the investment
projects i have at hand ,So feel free to get in touch with Veronica
Udom and send her your information below to enable her send the draft
to you without any delay.
Needed informationâs are:
Your Full Name:....................
Your Home Address:.................
Your home phone:...................
Your Cell phone:...................
A copy of your international passport or any valid ID
With My Best Regards,