fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transferred into your bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "god fearing " (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (Hotmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Df <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16:33:14 +0200
Greetings to you.
Please do not view my plea as a contrived plot. My trusted family attorney
who would have executed my WILL & TESTAMENT on my behalf died early this
year after a brief illness. I therefore prayed fervently and by the special
grace of GOD, I was led to you. I am Mrs. Deborah Newman, from the United
Kingdom, I am 68 years old. I am suffering from cancer of the lungs and it
has affected part of my brain cells due to complications. My condition is
deteriorating and according to my doctors I may not be alive in the next
couple of months, unless there is a divine intervention.
I was orphaned as a child and got married to a late Engineer. Paulson
Newman for twenty years without having an offspring. My late husband had
chronic cardiovascular conditions and died of cardiac arrest a few years
ago. Paulson and I lived in Cote d'Ivoire for over 18 years, where my
husband a petrochemical engineer by profession worked and rose through the
ranks and became an executive director in a multinational oil servicing and
exploration conglomerate, before his untimely death. He also established
huge private investments that I supervised before his death and which forms
the major source of our fortune.
Consequent upon the shocking demise of my priceless husband, I opted as a
rule, not to re-marry. When medical reports revealed that my cancer ailment
have become terminal & more so because I do not have a direct next of kin
to bequeath all that Paulson & I laboured for, I sold off all our choice
assets, landed properties and other valuable family treasures and deposited
the proceeds amounting to USD$10,000,000.00 (TEN MILLION DOLLARS ONLY)
deposited here in a bank in Cote d'Ivoire. The management of the bank has
written me as the sole beneficiary of the fund because of the unserviceable
status of the fund over the years and suggested to me in a 2 paragraph
statement to issue a document to someone who can manage the fund on my
behalf because of my terminal illness and also threatened that the fund
could be confiscated upon my failure to adhere to their rules and
regulations as clearly spelt out in their code of conduct.
I am on admission at the intensive care unit of a London hospital, located
at Fulham road in west London United Kingdom. It is the leading cancer
treatment hospital in the world. I am currently undergoing treatment there
for late-stage terminal cancer of the lungs. I am computer literate, I
rarely talk but has my personal laptop with me and has the permission of my
physicians to use it, hence I am writing from my sick bed in the (ICU). It
is my last WISH that 85% of this fund is invested substantially in any
charitable organization of your choice and administered as you may deem
fit, especially to the orphanage homes. You are at liberty to also donate
part of the funds to churches and mosques and also to fight for
CORONAVIRUS.I have earmarked 5% of the total fund to run cost of
administration of WILL & TESTAMENT and also on logistics and other sundry
arrangements that you may require.
I crave your indulgence as a God fearing individual that equally has a high
moral pedestal and who is also an uncommon humanitarian that cares so much
about the plight of the less-privileged as much as I do, to take it upon
yourself and use this fund for the above mentioned purposes. This is a
painstaking decision I have taken in order to help humanity in my little
capacity as a people driven entrepreneur and a very God fearing woman
before I bow to God's sovereignty.
Note that as soon as I receive your reply and personal information as
listed below, I shall avail you with the official contact information of
the security firm officials, to enable you contact the bank without delays.
I will also issue you documents, so that the security firm will recognize
your status as the new beneficiary of my ESTATE, FUND, and WILL &
TESTAMENT. Interestingly 10% of the total sum is set aside as your
compensation for accepting to play this significant role for me and I hope
you will appreciate my kind gesture.
Let me remind you that the fund has an open beneficiary mandate and as
such, it is whom I personally authorize or appoint to act on my behalf that
the bank will ultimately recognize and release the funds to and by this
memo, the onus has fallen on you to assume this selfless and noble
responsibility that will catalyse change by exploring and promoting the
development of new interventions that will benefit the poorest of the poor
when the fund is transferred into your bank account.
Please assure me that you will not treat this offer with levity but will
consciously yield my bequest continued existence.
Kindly send the information in this order:
(1) Your full names: ==================================
(2) Personal or official contact address: ==============================
(3) Home or Office phone#: ===========Îll phone#: =========úx#: ======
(4) Your Age: ==============================
(5) Occupation: =============================
(6) Sex/Marital status: ======================
I await your kind response through this email address;
May God bless your golden heart and soul.
Mrs. Deborah Newman