fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: DHL COMPANY <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 06:08:02 -0700
Subject: Dear Customer
DHL International (UNITED STATES) Ltd.
130 Church Street, New York, NY
Working Hours......... Monday: 8.00am - 6.00pm.....Tuesday: 8.00am -
6.00pm....Wednesday: 8.00am - 6.00pm Thursday: 8.00am -
6.00pm....Friday: 8.00am - 6.00pm.....Sunday: Closed
This is DHL International Delivery Company of United states ,we wish
to officially inform you that we received a package containing an ATM
CARD by your name valued $5 million USD to be delivered to your
residential address in your country. It was brought to our notice
yesterday morning from International Monetary Fund Department (IMF),
kindly reconfirm the below information properly to avoid us not making
any mistake during delivery or delivery to a wrong hand.
Parcel owner address....
Copy of your ID .......
Your Sex/Age â¦â¦
We will register your package and send you the tracking number for
safety delivery of your package as soon as you reconfirm the required
information needed for safety delivery to your residential address in
DHL brand is known around the world. DHL takes protecting our
customers and their sensitive information seriously, DHL is one of the
world's great success stories, the startup that revolutionized the
delivery of packages and information in the past 30 years, we've grown
up and grown into a diverse family of companies as DHL that's bigger,
stronger, better than ever.
I will be looking forward to hearing from you within 48hours.
Mr George Hills
Dispatch Manager DHL Company