fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Secretary To The Prime Minister" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 16.41.11 +0530
This is to Officially inform you that we have verified your inheritance file and found out that why you have not received your payment is because you have not fulfilled the obligation given to you in respect of your contract/inheritance payment.
Secondly we have been informed that you are still dealing with the non officials in the bank your entire attempt to secure the release of the fund to you. We wish to advise you that such an illegal act like these has been stopped if you wish to receive your payment since we have decided to bring a solution to your problem. Right now we have arranged your payment through our swift card payment centre Asia pacific that is the latest instruction from Prime Minister Boris Johnson (GBFR) United Kingdom and The F.B.I. This card centre will send you an international ATM Card which has been mandated to issue out to you $1,000,000.00 USD(One Million United State Dollar) as part payment and you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to avoid any hitches in receiving your payment. The maximum withdrawal is $20,000.00 USD (Twenty Thousand Dollars Per Day), so if you like to receive your fund this way please let us know by contacting Mr.Jarvis Brand on his em
ail address: (jarvis.bran
(1)Your full name..........(2)Cellphone............(3)Resident address.............(4)Your age and current occupation............
Secretary To The Prime Minister