fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Aisha Gaddafi" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2021 08:27:56 +0000
Subject: I am ready to negociate with you.
Dear Friend (Assalamu Alaikum),
I came across your private email address before a private search,
although you need it Your help. My name is Aisha Al-Gaddafi, a single
mother and widow with three children. I am the only natural daughter
of late Libya President (Colonel Muammar Gaddafi).
I have investment funds worth twenty-seven million five hundred
thousand United State Dollars ($ 27,500,000.00) and I need a trusted
investment However, I am manager / partner due to my current refugee
status Interest in investment aid in your country can be From there we
can establish business relationships in the near future.
I am ready to negotiate with you the Investment / Business Profit
Sharing Ratio Based on the future investment that makes profits.
If you are ready to take on this project on my behalf, please reply
urgently so that I can give you more information about the mutual
Ms. Aisha Al-Gaddafi