fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Aisha Al-Qaddafi <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2021 01:22:58 -0700
Subject: Dear Friend,
I came across your e-mail contact prior to a private search while in need
of your assistance. I am Aisha Al-Qaddafi, the only biological Daughter of
Former President of Libya Col. Muammar Al-Qaddafi. Am a single Mother and a
Widow with three Children.
I have investment funds worth Twenty Seven Million Five Hundred Thousand
United State Dollar ($27.500.000.00 ) and i need a trusted investment
Manager/Partner because of my current refugee status, however, I am
interested in you for investment project assistance in your country, may be
from there, we can build business relationship in the nearest future.
I am willing to negotiate an investment/business profit sharing ratio with
you based on the future investment earning profits.
If you are willing to handle this project on my behalf kindly reply
urgently to enable me to provide you more information about the investment
Your Urgent,my private email address,(email@example.com)
Thanks with my Best Regards
Mrs Aisha Al-Qaddafi