fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031986892 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "FACEBOOK POST COVID19 LOTTO FOUNDATION " <email@example.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2021 13:49:58 -0800
Subject: Your E-mail has won for you $ 5 Million USA Dollars !!!
FACEBOOK POST COVID19 LOTTO FOUNDATION !!!
(Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg)
European Region Office:
10B Widemarsh Street
London HP1 8HFD
Dear Lucky winner 00545 188 564756,
We happily announce to you that upon conclusion of the 2021 Facebook Post
Covid 19 bail Lotto Program, your E-mail address has emerge as one of the n=
introduced Digital Lottery Program winner which was conducted via your
registered email on Facebook. at our Lotto Draw Headquarters London,
United Kingdom organized by Facebook Inc on which your E-mail address has
emerge as one of the newly introduced Digital Lottery Program winner which
involves the use of email addresses. Facebook Lottery offer this winning
every year to promote the use of Internet and facebook . Your e-mail address
has won Five Million United States Dollars ( $5,000,000 USD) in the 2nd
category and in this category (50) E-mail address came out as winners and
your E-mail is one of them. Congratulation,
FACEBOOK POST COVID19 LOTTO FOUNDATION ,
have WARNED all winner to keep this notification secrete to
avoid cancellation because your Country Government prefer to get the donati=
than individual, so do not expose your winning till you get your won amount=
List of Facebook Donation:
YOUR WINNING NOTIFICATION:
Ticket number: 00545 188 564756,
WINNING NUMBER: FB/575061725.
Serial number 5368/02
Lucky numbers: 17 98 09 67 46
Kindly forward below details for your won amount payment Processing:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Chief Financia=
l Officer =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Contact Person: Prof . Jerry Hoffman
Contact E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: +44-7031-9868-92
(**) Your Full names:
(**) Your Mobile Number:
(**) Your Contact address:
(**) Your Occupation:
(**) Your Country:
(**) Your Age & Sex:
(**) Marital Status:
(**) And your lucky number above:
(**) Won email address:
(**) Have you won online Before ?:
ATTACHED IS FEW PAST WINNER PAYMENT PROOF
Note: Any prize not claimed within this period (7 days) from now will be
forfeited. For security reasons, we advice all winners to keep this
information confidential from the public notice until your claims is
processed and released to you. This is part of our security protocol to
avoid double claiming and unwarranted taking advantage of this program by
non-participant or unofficial personnel.
Yours in service,
Prof.Clifford Watt. Head Of Lottery Organizer.
Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook CEO)
Facebook Lottery Facilitator.