fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: miss chantal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 10:02:03 +0000
Subject: IRREVOCABLE COMPENSATION PAYMENT OF US$4.1 million dollars, VIA ATM
IRREVOCABLE COMPENSATION PAYMENT OF US$4.1 million dollars, VIA ATM VISA CARD
On behalf of the United Nations International Monetary Fund (IMF) Cash
Grant Award Payment,
we wish to notify you as a beneficiary of 4.1 million dollars, The
and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has
chosen to pay out all the compensation funds to 150 Beneficiaries from
U.S.A, Europe, Canada, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Qatar, Saudi
Arabia, South America, Australia and Asia and Africa Continent through
ATM Visa Card as this is a global payments technology that enables
consumers, businesses, financial institutions and governments to use
digital currency instead of Cash and Cheques. (Scam victims through
santander bank in
am here to inform you that we have verified your inheritance file
presently on my desk, and I found out that you have not received
your payment due to your lack of co-operation and not fulfilling the
obligations giving to you in respect to your inheritance payment.
Secondly, you are hereby advised to stop dealing with some
non-officials in the bank or any offices as this is an illegal act and
you have to stop if you so wish to receive your payment immediately.
After the board meeting held at our headquarters, we have resolved in
finding a solution to your problem, and as you may know, we have
arranged your payment to be paid to you through ATM Visa Card
immediately by santander bank in Madrid . You can also inform the bank
to transfer the fund directly to your bank account through online wire
transfer if you are not comfortable with ATM delivery. All we need is
for you to receive your fund at your door step and this will be issued
in your Name and shall be posted directly to your address via DHL or
FedEx courier services available in your country.
Upon your contact with us, the sum of 4.1 million dollars will be
credited into the ATM Visa Card and this will enable you to withdraw
your funds in any ATM Machines in your country with a minimum
withdrawal of 10,000 dollars per day. You can also transfer from the
ATM CARD through online credited PO BOX to any account of your choice
in the world because this ATM CARD is issued by Swiss World Bank. In
this regards, you are to contact and furnish the requested information
to the Directorate of International Payment and Transfer so as to
enable us forward your
information to santander bank in Madrid so it can be forwarded to
DHL/FedEx for perfect delivery, you can contact
this management immediately
Fill the followings with your details;
1. Your Name:
2. Country :
3. Age and Sex:
4. Occupation :
5. Mobile Telephone:
6. Delivery Address:
7. Id Card Identification:
8. forward your details to my private e-mail <email@example.com>
Endeavor to furnish the above information to the officers below for
the issuance and delivery of your ATM Visa Card; be sure to quote your
reference number in all correspondences.
MRS Chantal Grace Kennedy
Director of International Payment
Whatsapp or call (+34 612 55 84 82)
We required your urgent response to this email as directed to avoid
Public Information Office