fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "levy " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- "high court" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "federal high court" (This court is often mentioned in '419' scams to give the victim a reason why he/she should send thousands of dollars to the scammers. A 'Federal High Court' exists in Germany and Nigeria, but not in other countries, such as the UK, Spain, Netherlands, Senegal, Benin, South Africa or other countries where fake lawyers in scams often claim to be based. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: MRS MONSLEUR STEVEN <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2021 06:59:52 +0000
Subject: Dear Friend
NOTE THIS IS YOUR PACKAGE REGISTERED CODE NO XGT442.
I want to acknowledge you that we have finally succeeded in getting
your ATM CARD worth's of $3.7 million out of (ECO ) Economic Community
of States department with the help of Mr. James George Attorney
General of Federal High Court of Justice Sirrea lone Republic which
act as your foreign Attorney representative here .
Meanwhile every necessary arrangement has been made successfully with
the Agent joaquim levy for the delivery of your ATM CARD and every
Document guiding your delivery is well updated so you are advised to
reconfirm your full delivery information to the Agent joaquim levy
right now as he is currently at ORLANDO International Airport with
your ATM CARD. He has already called me with his number on his arrival
He is waiting to hear from you today with the information. The
Diplomatic Agent joaquim levy does not know that the content of the
ATM CARD is $3.7 Million and on no circumstances should you let him
know the content. The consignments were moved from here as India
Cloths, so never allow him to open the box on OK.
He is waiting to hear from you today with the information, So you are
advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to the diplomat
more you are
advice to be very fast as the Agent joaquim levy has no time to waste
due to his flight ticket. So the Information you are required to
reconfirm to the
Agent joaquim levy is as Follow.
Mobile Phone Number========
Nearest Airport ===========
Current Home Address=======
Kindly Contact Him and the Contact Person,
Name Diplomatic Agent joaquim levy
Email( firstname.lastname@example.org )
MRS MONSLEUR STEVEN