fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- 0181. south africa po box 12082; hatfield 0028; pretoria firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com phone/fax +27783369815 (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "TT/PAYMENT" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2021 06:06:38 -0800
Subject: Projects funding
I am Mr.Filip Abu dos and I work as a financial expert and procurement
officer to some High Net worth individuals from African region.
Basically, my principals are most interested in partnership with
business ventures such as Medical and Health care projects, Real
estate projects, mining projects, agricultural projects renewable
energy projects, start-up projects and business expansions.
I MUST consider you a privileged entity who shall be privy to many
sourceable CLEAN fund meant for foreign investment and you are able to
access up to One Billion dollar or more if your project is viable.
I will wish that you send a copy of your highlighted projects with
elucidated BUSINESS PLANS or EXECUTIVE SUMMARY which I shall propagate
for its immediate approval for a minimal ROI return on investment
which you shall have sole mandate after review and consideration.
There will be a need for a face to face meeting with me or with the
investor's representative and have the paperwork perfected and
Kindly reply as soon as possible if you have any viable project that
you will want us to be involved as indicated above.
To proceed, please provide me with a workable business/project plan
for our study.
Introduce the following :
(a)Introduction and description of your company if any
(b)Your full name,your home/office address,your phone/mobile numbers
(c)The type of business that you are running and sector of activities.
(d)Investment of concern.Please Specify the sector of investment of
your interest: (indicate if you have more than 1 choice in mind).
(e)Amount required ($) for the execution of the Project
We will rely on your professional ideas and trust to work with you .
We are here to work together in confidence for the benefits of all
Your's faithfully ,
Mr.Filip Abu Dos
PO Box 12082; Hatfield 0028; Pretoria
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:The information contained in this email
including attachments is confidential.It may also be legally
privileged.If you are not the addressee you may not
copy,forward,disclose or use any part of it.If you have received this
message in error,please delete it and all copies from your system and
notify the sender immediately by return E mail.Any
review,transmission,dissemination,or taking of any action in reliance
upon this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is
prohibited.Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be
timely,secure, error or virus-free.The sender does not accept
liability for any errors or omissions.Thanks