fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "i will like you to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mr SCOTT RICHARD <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 22:21:38 +0900
Subject: PICK UP YOUR ATM CARD.
PICK UP YOUR ATM CARD.
We hereby officially notifying you about the present arrangement to pay you, your over due Winning Prize/inheritance fund which you could not complete the process of
the released of your transfer pin code through the Digitized Payment System.
make sure you receive your fund and after set and done your received nothing. We have decided to pay your funds through (ATM VISA Card) This arrangement was
initiated/constituted by the World Bank, United Nation and Paris Club, due to fraudulent activities going on within the world.
The World Bank, United Nations and Paris Club introduced this payment arrangement as to enable our Contract ,Winning Prize,inheritance beneficiary to receive their
fund without any interference. the ATM VISA Card was contracted and powered by GOLD CARD WORLD WIDE.
The ATM VISA CARD is credited with the sum of$15,000.000.00 USD(Fifteen Million United State Dollars), it is already loaded in the Master Card which
you can use to access your fund in any ATM Stand/location worldwide and remember that the maximum withdrawal daily limit is Ten Thousand United States Dollars(US
this is Mr Mr SCOTT RICHARD, from FedEx company am at Seattel-Tacoma International Airport USA where the flight landed few minutes ago, right now i am getting some
clearance from custom agency because they stated that they need to register the delivery because it is an international delivery,i will like you to note me the
following information so that i will fill the form and get registered by them so that i will be free to book another flight to your city airport.
Your full correct Name:__________________
Cell Phone Number:_______________________
and also attach me a scan copy of your identity card so that i will recognize you when i meet you today on the line of the delivery. Thank You
Mr SCOTT RICHARD