fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs Mirna Damary <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2021 09:18:09 +0100
Subject: The (IMF OFFICE) $7,5 million SCAM VICTIM compensation
Attention,Dear OWNER Email
The (IMF OFFICE) Western Union and Money Gram Head Office wish to
inform you that United Nation instructed us to send you sum of
$7,5million SCAM VICTIM compensation winning you will starting receive
$7000 dollar from today therefore to start processing, I will need the
following this is the final notice about your fund,Send your
Informationâs to BELOW:E-mail: (( email@example.com )) and add
WHATSAPP contact through WHATSAPP number...+22962067151 I am stand as
your assistance to transfer you $7.5million I am sorry but i am happy
to inform you about the success your $7000 immediately you cooperation
so get back enable us speed up your ( 1 digit number) to pick up $7000
usd to avoid transfer your payment $7000 usd today to wrong person.
HERE IS THE Available (M.T.C.N) for pick up by receiver BELOW:
Sender name==patricia Mahony
As result of the information we receive today the (M.T.C.N) Number
$7000 dollar will release to pick up first.So if you are interested on
your fund response immediately to receive 1 Digit number to pick up
$7000,Which is sent on your behalf without delay contacting us there
(( firstname.lastname@example.org )).
Name: Rev TONY MIKE
E-mail: (( email@example.com ))
HERE IS THE INFORMATION WE NEED FROM YOU NOW
Mrs patricia Mahony