fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Outblaze.com, Hong Kong; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 13:17:11 +0000
Subject: ATTN Dear Beneficiary You so Lucky
To fill it out, visit:
This office is writing to you to let you know that we have successfully
all foreign transaction down here because of the complains and reports
receiving that our dear citizens are being intimidating, cheating and
their legal right to their inherited, winning and contract funds from
Therefore in proving American's greatness, all matter regarding local
international transactions from African, Europe, Asia etc has be
released and a
total funds of $58,700,000.00 United States Dollars is in your name
to the gathered files so far and you are to contact us today for the
and the claim of the funds if you are still interested to receive your
we have done our best to secure all the funds that was unable to
N:B After this clearing house, all unclaimed funds goes to Federal
unclaimed funds as the beneficiary will be assumed dead.
Mr. Charles K. Roberson
+1(+1(843)900-6106)text message only
Google Forms: Create and analyze surveys.