fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: PAYLATER FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2020 13:16:06 -0800
Subject: INVESTMENT LOAN
It is a great honor to communicate with you and introduce our
Investment Group for 2020. We represent a strong global financial and
strategic funding and investment organization, as a United Arab
Emirates and Europe based Investment and Finance facilitation Company
we are working towards expanding our international portfolio globally
and funding projects in the form of debt financing from USD1 Million
and above, we also offer personal and business loans from the tune of 1M
USD to 50 Billion USD.
We wish to re-invest through project funding in investment loan to
third party investors, project owners on a 2.0% interest rate per
annum on long term investment projects that can generate up to 10% ROI
within the period. Kindly confirm your interest for further
proceedings to commence,
1-Oil and gas project
2-Business Start Up
4-Real Commercial estate purchase
5-Contract Execution etc,
We would be happy to receive your Executive Summary/Project Plan as
well as accepting an NDA. It is our firm resolve to diligently
participate in any viable project of your choice with a view of
financing and providing soft loans. Submit your projects summary to us
for evaluation for funding
Dr Patrick Abbond