fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2020 07:19:14 +0000
To fill it out, visit:
Please i need your help,Permit me to inform you of my desire of going into
business relationship with you, I am Ms Ralii Akidy 19 years the only
Daughter of Late Mr. & Mrs. Uzoh Akidy. My father was a very wealthy
cocoa merchant in Ivory cost , the economic capital of Abidjan, my father
was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outings on
a business trip
My mother died when I was a baby and since then my father took me so
special. Before the death of my father in a private hospital here he
secretly called me on his bed side and told me that he has the sum of four
million two hundred thausand dollar.($4.2Million) USD left in fixed /
suspense account in one of the prime bank here in ivory coast, he said that
he used my name as his only Daughter for the next of Kin in depositing of
the money. He also explained to me that it was because of this wealth that
he was poisoned by his business ssociates. Please i need you to help me to
transfer the money into your account so that i will come over to your
country and finish my education, Then you put the race of the money in a
business and investment for more income.
(1) i want you To provide account where the bank will transfer the money .
(2) To serve as a guardian of this fund since I am only 19 years girl.
(3) To make arrangement for me to come over to your country to further my
education and to secure a resident permit in your country.
Moreover, Dear, I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as
compensation for your effort/ input after the successful transfer of this
money into your nominated account so that i will come over to your country,
From yours faithful love ralli akidy
CONTACT ME AT My email. email@example.com
i am waiting for your reply
Google Forms: Create and analyze surveys.