fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- +447031986892 (UK, redirects to a mobile phone in another country)
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
- contact person: prof . jerry hoffman contact e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org phone number: +44-7031-9868-92 = (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "FACEBOOK LOTTERY 2020 CASH AWARD NOTIFICATION" <email@example.com>
Reply-To: .www.facebook.com>> CONTACT YOUR CLAIMS AGENT
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 14:43:00 -0800
Subject: Your Email Has Won $5, 000,
000.00USD (Five Million United States Dollars) From Facebook Lottery.
FACEBOOK LOTTERY PROMOTION !!!
(Founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg)
European Region Office:
10B Widemarsh Street
London HP1 8HFD,
We happily announce to you the draw of the Facebook Lottery Promotions for =
the year 2020, at our Lotto Draw Headquarters London, United Kingdom organi=
zed by Facebook on which your E-mail address has emerge as one of the newl=
y introduced Digital Lottery Program winner which involves the use of email=
addresses. Facebook Lottery offer this winning every beginning of the year=
. Your e-mail address has won $5,000,000.00 ($5 Million US Dollars) in the=
2nd category and in this category (50) E-mail address came out as winners =
and your E-mail is one of them.
List of Facebook Donation:
YOUR WINNING NOTIFICATION:
Ticket number: 00545 188 564756,
WINNING NUMBER: FB/575061725.
Serial number 5368/02
Lucky numbers: 17 98 09 67 46
Kindly forward below details for your won amount payment Processing:
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Chief Financia=
l Officer =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Contact Person: Prof . Jerry Hoffman
Contact E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Number: +44-7031-9868-92 =
(**) Your Full names: =
(**) Your Telephone Number =
(**) Your Contact address: =
(**) Your Occupation: =
(**) Your Country: =
(**) Your Age & Sex: =
(**) And your lucky number above: =
(**) Have you won online Before ? =
Note: Any prize not claimed within this period (7 days) from now will be fo=
rfeited. For security reasons, we advice all winners to keep this informati=
on confidential from the public notice until your claims is processed and r=
eleased to you. This is part of our security protocol to avoid double claim=
ing and unwarranted taking advantage of this program by non-participant or =
Yours in service, =
Prof.Clifford Watt. Head Of Lottery Organizer. =
Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook CEO) =
Facebook Lottery Facilitator.
Copyright =A92020facebook Lottery Promotions!