fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Mrs. Caroline Manon" <>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 14:25:56 +0100
Subject: Greetings from Mrs. Caroline Manon.

Greetings from Mrs. Caroline Manon.


I assume that this message will reach you in good health. Though I did
not know you in person or have i seen you before, but due to the
reliable revelation, I decided to share this lucrative opportunity
with you, so kindly consider this message as vital, believing that you
will never regret anything at the end.

First and foremost, I have to introduce myself to you, I am Mrs.
Caroline Manon. the wife of late Mr. Micheal Manon. Director of High
River Gold Mines Ltd Burkina Faso West Africa. Presently I am
suffering from breast cancer and from all indication; I understand
that I am not going to survive this sickness.

Therefore i have decided to donate the sum of Twenty Five Million Two
Hundred Thousand United State Dollars ($25,200,000.00) to Charity
Organizations or to support the Orphans, Motherless Babies, Less
privileged and free Medical & Medicine for Poor People around the
World since I don't have any child and do not want the bank to take
over my fund. So i want you to handle this project accordingly,
accomplish my heart desire and utilize this fund, I assured you
honesty and reliability to champion this business opportunity.

If you are ready to handle this transaction, i will guide you on how
you will apply for the claim, so that the fund will be release into
your own account and you will take 30% from the fund and the rest 70%
will use to Charity Organizations, Further information will be given
to you as soon as I receive your reply.

Remain blessed in the name of the Lord.

Mrs. Caroline Manon.

Anti-fraud resources: