fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs Aisha Al-Qaddafi" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 20 07:32:11 GMT
Subject: NEED YOUR URGENT ATTENTION
Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,
My Dear Good Friend
May i use this medium to open a mutual communication with you seeking your acceptance towards investing in your
country under your management as my partner, My name is Aisha Gaddafi and presently living in Oman, i am a
Widow and single Mother with three Children, the only biological Daughter of late Libyan President (Late Colonel
Muammar Gaddafi) and presently i am under political asylum protection by the Omani Government..Please Reply me
in my box. ( email@example.com)
I have funds worth "Twenty Seven Million Five Hundred Thousand United State Dollars" -$27.500.000.00 US
which i want to entrust on you for investment project in your country.If you are willing to handle this project
on my behalf, kindly reply urgent to enable me provide you more.
details to start the transfer process.
I shall appreciate your urgent response through my email address below: (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mrs Aisha Al-Qaddafi