fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "offshore account" (Banks mentioned in 419 scams are always fake (real banks don't communicate using mobile phones or free webmail addresses))
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "John Moore" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 10:17:03 -0700
Subject: REF:- INSTRUCTION TO CREDIT YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE SUM OF (US$32,000,000.00)
HERITAGE BANK PLC
NOTIFICATION ABOUT YOUR FUND.
OFFICE OF THE DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
INTERNATIONAL CREDIT SETTLEMENT
HERITAGE BANK PLC.
Tinubu Square, Lagos Island, Lagos State, Nigeria
REF:- INSTRUCTION TO CREDIT YOUR ACCOUNT WITH THE SUM OF (US$32,000,000.00)
We hereby inform you that out of our records for the year investigation it is drawn to us that you have been victimized by the men of underworld(419ers/impostors). However, the management has been dutifully empowered by the Investigation bureau office of the President and Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces of Federal Republic of Nigeria to curb all illicit transaction and workload of this perpetrator. In line with the Anti-corruption crusade of the President Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR)you are by this email notification to stop any contact regarding to your illegal transaction with this international fraudsters called in UK 419ers After due vetting and evaluation of your Inheritance file which The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in conjunction with the Ministry Of Finance Of the Federal Republic of Nigeria want to see for your immediate payment of the sum of US$32,000,000.00 from their Offshore Account.
We were meant to understand from our findings that you have been going through hard ways by paying allot of charges to see to the release of your fund (USUS$32,000,000.00 ) , which has been delayed, Presently, we have employed a strategy to remit sanity and vow to terminate the activity of this fraudsters by consolidating our security Network all over the country in view to monitor all outgoing and incoming communication to enable us fish out and avert all illegal and suspicious transaction both domestically and internationally respectively.
We have signal all these financial institutions to implement scrutinized investigation before carrying any transaction any bank found culpable of breaching the law must have their operational license revoke.In accordance with the criminal and other related offense act 25 of 1999 constitution we have been officially compel by Senator. A. Aminu(JP),Chairman Senate committee on Foreign Affair to for your immediate payment of the sum of US$32,000,000.00 from their Offshore Account
You are adivce to stop further communication with any correspondence from UK? As you have met up with the whole requirements, Be inform from this day that if we find out through security agency that you are still in email and telephone communication with this criminals, your payment will discard and terminated and you will report to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
The only thing required from you is to obtain Change Of ownership Certificate/Receipt which We will help you to see that you obtain the form so that our bank will affect immediate transfer of your Inheritance sum (US$32,000,000.00 ) into your designated bank account. If you follow up our directives, your fund will reflect in your account within five Bank working days from the day you obtain your Change Of ownership Certificate.
Do not go through anybody again but through this Bank if you really want your fund Finally, you are advice to forward to this bank your receiving Account. Where you want this fund to be remitted. Please respond to my private email ( email@example.com )
.1. Full Names: --
2. Residential Address:
3. Phone Number:
6. Age: #
9. Marital status:
Head, Private Banking Section.
HERITAGE BANK PLC