fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following fake company names, fake addresses, non-existent institutions/documents or other details have appeared in scams before:
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "a security company " (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic delivery" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Marie McDaniel <wss@XINHUA.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2020 04:35:41 +0700
Subject: VERY VERY URGENT''
Am Marie McDaniel, A staff General in the US Army presently serving in Syria as a combat instructor, I sincerely apologize for intruding into your privacy, this might come as a surprise to you, but nothing is more distressing to me at this time as i find myself forced by events beyond my control, i have summoned courage to contact you. Am 38 years old lady, am a widow and I had a son who is now 16 years of age.
Some money in various currencies where discovered in barrels at a farm house in the middle East during a rescue operation in Iraq War, and it was agreed by Staff Sergeant James Trimis and myself that some part of these money be shared between both of us, I was given a total of ($5 Million US Dollars) as my own share , I kept this money in a consignment for a long while with a security Company which i declared
and deposit as my personal effects and it has been secured and protected for years now with the diplomatic Delivery Service.
Now, the WAR in Iraq is over, and all possible problems that could have emanated from the shared money has been totally cleaned up and all file closed, all what was discovered in the Middle East is no more discussed, am now ready to retire from active services by the end of this year, but, i need a trustworthy person that can help me take possession of this funds and keep it safe while i work on my relief
letters to join you so that we could discuss possible business partnership together with the money.
But I tell you what! No compensation can make up for the risk we are taken with our lives.You can confirm the genuineness of the findings by clicking on this web site.
Im seeking your kind assistance to move the sum of US$5 Million Dollars to you as far as I can be assured that the money will be safe in your care until I complete my service here in (SYRIA) before the
end of the year.
The most important thing is; Can I Trust you?,As an officers on ACTIVE DUTY am not allowed access to money, therefore, i have declared the content of the consignment as personal effect that i would like to be delivered to a friend. You will be rewarded with 30% of this funds for your help, all that i required is your trust between us till the
money get to you.consent to me I am looking forward to hear from you..
Gen. Marie McDaniel