fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "please endeavor to " (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "huge sum of money" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "contact me immediately" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "chambers" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (Gmail/GoogleMail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Frank Williams <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 05:16:26 +0100
Subject: CAN YOU BE TRUSTED?
From Frank Williams
Secured Email: email@example.com
Attention, Dear Partner
PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
My name is Frank Williams, I am the credit manager in a bank here in the UK
(United Kindom). I am contacting you of a business transfer, of a huge sum
of money from a deceased account. Though I know that a transaction of this
magnitude will make any one apprehensive and worried, but I am assuring you
that everything has been well taken care off, and all will be well at the
end of the day. I decided to contact you due to the urgency of this
transaction.To ease your apprehension, I got your contact from the British
chambers of commerce and industry, foreign trade division. PROPOSITION; I
am the account officer of a foreigner named Mahdieh Ghassemi who air crash
along with and her two children Arsan Niazi and Arnica Niazi, were on the
flight. on the Jan 8, 2020 in an Ukraine International airline Boeing 737
jet with other passengers on board. You can confirm this by Google it
Since his death, none of his next-of-kin are alive to make claims for this
money as his heir, because they all died in the same accident(May his soul
rest in peace). We cannot release the fund from his account unless someone
applies for claim as the next-of-kin to the deceased as indicated in our
banking guidelines. Upon this discovery, I now seek your permission to have
you stand as a next of kin to the deceased, as all documentations will be
carefully worked out by a lawyer for the funds Twenty- Eight million, Five
Hundred Thousand United States dollars (US$28,500,000.00) in a domiciliary
account to be released in your favour as the beneficiary's next of kin.
Because after four years the fund will be pay in a sundires Account as
unclaimed bills and the money shared amongst the directors of the bank as
bonus. so it is on this note i decided to seek for whom his name shall be
used as the next of kin/beneficiary to this funds rather than allow the
bank directors to shar! As bonus amongst themselves at the end of the year.
It may interest you to know that we have secured from the probate an order
of mandamus to locate any of the deceased beneficiaries.
Please acknowledge receipt of this message in acceptance of our mutual
business endeavor by furnishing me with the following information if you
1.A Beneficiary name.In order for me to prepare the PAPER WORK for transfer
of the funds in your name.
2.Details particulars of your contact address.
3. Direct Telephone and fax numbers;.For our personal contact.
I shall be compensating you with 25% of the total sum on final conclusion
of this project for your assistance, as I have also thought of doling out
5% to charity organisation from your locality based on your recommendation
another 5% for the services of the lawyer while the balance 65% shall be
for me for investment purposes in your country as i cannot bring back this
cash to my country. If this proposal is acceptable by you, please endeavor
to contact me immediately.
Do not take undue advantage of the trust I have bestowed in you by
informing you of this transaction from my bank as I will advise you to
kindly desist from responding at all if you do NOT intend to render any
assistance. Endeavour to respond via my secured email address: