fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "abidjan" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a orphan scam.
Fraud email example:
From: "Raphael Kamara" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: 29 Jul 2020 15:02:43 +0100
Subject: Please permit me to introduce my business purpose with you.
From Raphael Kamara
Abidjan - Cote D'ivoire.
Good day dear,
Permit me to inform you of my desire of entering into business relationship with you. I got your email through website directory of chamber of commerce and industry here in Abidjan, Republic of Côte d’Ivoire. I prayed over it and selected your name among other names due to its esteeming nature and recommendations given to me as a reputable and trustworthy person I can do business with, and by their recommendations I must not hesitate to confide in you for this
simple and sincere business.
I am Raphael Kamara by name and my younger sister Juliet the only son and daughter of late Mr and Mrs Chief Vincent Kamara, my father was a retired army major general in my country and as soon as he was retired he engage into cocoa merchant in Abidjan the economic capital city of Republic of of Côte d’Ivoire. before he was poisoned to death by his business associates on one of their outing trip to France to discuss on a business deal. When our father died on the 21st of
October 2018, my mother took me and my sister so special because we are fatherless.
Our mother later died on the 17th of March 2020 after her long battle for a breast cancer. But before the death of our mother on the 17th March 2016 in a private hospital here in Abidjan. She secretly called me bedside her sick bed where she is admitted to the hospital and told me that our father has a sum of $7.500.000 (seven million, five hundred thousand US dollars) he left in a local bank here in Abidjan. That he used my name as his only son for next of kin in deposit of the money. She also
explain to me that it was because of our fathers wealth that he was poisoned by his business associates, that I should seek for a foreign partner in a country of my choice where I will transfer this money and use it for investment purpose. Such as: 1). Real Estate and Transportation Industry.
I am honorably seeking your assistance in the following ways:
1) To provide a bank account where this money would be transferred to
2) to serve as the guardian of this money since I am a boy of 18 years
3) to make arrangement for me and my sister to come over to your country to further our education as you will be the manager of this money and to secure a residential permit in your country for me and my sister Juliet. I am willing to offer you 20% of the total sum as compensation for your effort input after the successful transfer of this money to your account overseas. Furthermore, you can indicate your willingness towards assisting me as I believe that this transaction will be concluded
within seven (7) days you signify your interest to assist me.
Please get back to me as soon as possible. Any delay in your reply will give me room in looking for another contact for this same purpose.
Anticipating to hear from you soonest.