fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear sir/madam" (a standard Nigerian greeting phrase)
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "await your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Allan Gordon." <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:59:36 -0700
Subject: Your Urgent Response.
We wish to congratulate and inform you that after thorough review of your Inheritance/Contract funds transfer in conjunction with the United Nations and the International Monetary Fund assessment report, your payment file was forwarded to us for immediate transfer of a Part-Payment of US$5,000,000.00 to your designated bank account.
The Audit reports given to us shows that you have been going through hard times by paying a lot of money to see to the release of your funds, which has been delayed by some dubious officials. We therefore advice that you stop further communications with any correspondence outside this office to ensure the successful transfer of your funds to your designated bank account of choice .
We Have Verified Your Claims File And Discovered Reasons Why You Have Not Yet Received Your Payment and This Is Because Of Some Irregularities And Complications Discovered By Our Technical Experts In Respect To Your Payment Which Have Just Been Duly Rectified and Your Payment Has Been Approved For Payment through our On-Line Banking system as we will be activating an On-Line account for you with our Bank .
Below Is The Arrangements On How Your funds will be transferred to you :...
Our Information Department will be sending your On-line Bank Account login details which consists of YOUR ACCOUNT NUMBER & PASSWORD and these would give you access to your Online account were you can make transfer of any amount to your designated bank account .
To this end, you are to furnish us with the below details to enable us open an account for you .Kindly Furnish Us With the Below Details;
YOUR FULL NAMES
CELL PHONE NUMBER
HOME PHONE NUMBER
COPY OF IDENTITY
Upon receipt of the aforementioned information, we shall be sending your Online account login details in less than 12-Hours .
Note: Because of Impostors, We Hereby Issue You Our Code of Conduct Tag Number Which Is (BBSA 1977) So You Must Have To Indicate This Code When Contacting me
I Await Your Urgent Response.