fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu"<email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 08:30:22 -0700
Subject: Contact Your Processing Agent
FROM THE DESK OF:Mr. IBRAHIM MAGU
CHAIRMAN OF ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL
CRIME COMMISION (EFCC)
ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC) in alliance with economic community of West African states (ECOWAS) with head Office here in Nigeria. We have been working towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam Artists in Western part of Africa With the help of United
States Government and the United Nations and some corrupt official administrators from the former EFCC chairman.
This email is being directed to you because your email address was found in one of the scam Artists file and computer hard disk in our custody in Continental National Bank US (CNB) and with the information gartered from this Scam artist, you notice that you have been scammed of so much
money and have decided to compensate you with a little token to recover the lost of your fund. You are therefore being compensated with the total sum $ 10.5 Million Dollars. We have also arrested all those who claim that they are barristers,
bank officials, Inheritance, Lottery Agents who has money for transfer or want you to be the next of kin of such funds which does not
Since your name appeared among the lucky beneficiaries who will receive a compensation of US $ 10.5 Million, we have made arrangement to register an Online Banking and also download their Online Banking App With the Continental National Bank US (CNB) through our Global Bank, where you will have full access to your Online Banking Account Fund, to transfer
your fund personally to your Private Bank Account with no complication of things or questioning as the Account will be fully registered in your Name.
Feel free to contact the processing officer MISS ESTHER EMMANUEL. The online Banking Processing is made much easier for you to transfer your fund to your private Bank Account personally, to avoid any delay or complication of things. With this Online Banking Transfer
Processing, you can only transfer the Maximum Amount of US $ 1,000.000.00 daily installmentally until the total amount of your Compensated deposited fund is transferred and completely paid to you and also if you choose to receive your
payment VIA ATM CARD its is still accepted so you get back to her with your choice of payment.
So you are advice to contact, processing officer MISS ESTHER EMMANUEL with your provided information required for verification below so you can proceed in opening of your account with the Continental National Bank US (CNB).
CONTACT PERSON: MISS ESTHER EMMANUEL
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
ESTHER'S CONTACT: +234 708 587 6229
BANK CELL PHONE: +1 413-407-0860
Provide the information below to enable the processing of your Online Banking Account with Continental National Bank US (CNB) for deposition of your total compensated funds Immediately and also download their Online Banking App to access your account.
1) YOUR FULL NAME.
2) YOUR ADDRESS.
3) YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.
4) YOUR OCCUPATION?
5) YOUR IDENTITY/ Passport ID
Contact MISS ESTHER EMMANUEL with the information required for verification to enable her start the processing of your Online Banking Account Registration.
We guarantee your safety and wish you the best of luck.
Note: Our Official email will be provided to you as soon as you contact Mrs Esther Emmanuel
Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME
(EFCC) FOREIGN OPERATIONS