fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mr Frank Morrison <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 00:28:19 -0700
Subject: Attention: Dear
Second quarter payment of $2.5 Million United State Dollars for 2019.
Be informed that the Board of Directors have approved your fund for
immediate release as instructed by the World bank auditors that are
presently sitting in our bank for the final payment remark for 2019.
You are advised to reconfirm the following information :
FULL NAME ADDRESS PHONE AND MOBILE PHONE NUMBER to enable me summit
your file for the final approval and release of your fund without any
further delay.It will take 24-48 working hours for you to get your
I awaits your urgent response.
Mr Frank Morrison.