fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Vivian Douglas" <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 00:53:26 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: Attn Beneficiary, DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card.
How are you today? Hope all is well with you and your family. I haven't heard a word from you yet, what is happening? I need your email right now regarding the DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address. You need to receive your Money $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address. I really need you to solve this matter immediately. Do not be a little confused at this final point. This is the time I will bring your funds to you. I need to received your email regarding DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address. You are advice to email me with the following information for the DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address below:
1) Your Full Nameâ¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦.......................................
2) Your Home addressâ¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦ â¦â¦â¦.............................
3) Your IDâ¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦ â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦....
4) Your Cell Phone Numberâ¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦.
As soon as I received the information as I requested today. You will be expect to receive your DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address and it will cost you only $100usd to receive your DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address soon and begin to live a normal life with your family, You have to placed your trust in me and I am waiting for your urgent reply today. This is really going to come to you and you need
to get iTunes gift card for $100usd and send it to me today. The DELIVERY of funds $29.8Million USD ATM VISA card into your home address is for real. I look forward for your reply.
Mr. Joseph Martin
Director World Bank Group Limited.