fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "the consignment" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "trunk box" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "courier service" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Yaw Osafo-Maafo" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2019 04:41:51 -0700
Subject: Re: Shipment Of Your Consignment Box
Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MFCP)
28th February Road, Accra, Ghana
PAYMENT FILE NUMBER: A
Dear Consignment Owner,
Release/Delivery Notice for your Inheritance Fund (US$10.000,000.00).
Payment File No: A.
This is to inform you that your courier service deliveryman has arrived with your consignment box value $10million dollars in Los Angeles International Airport California, United States, as their transit. With all due respect, you really have to stop dealing with those people that are contacting you and telling you that your fund is with them, it is not in anyway with them, they are only taking advantage of you and they will dry you up until you have nothing and be assured that you will receive your consignment box within 24hrs as soon you comply with the courier service deliveryman
I known that you will receive this massage as surprise, but this is to clearly inform you that the courier service man by name MR. BRIAN MOLEFE which we send to deliver your inheritance fund $10million loaded in a Metal Trunk Box weighing approximately 110kg has successfully arrived your country and he is at the Los Angeles International Airport California, United States, he need your attention to direct him to the nearest airport to your door step. therefore you are advise to contact him right now to enable him leave the airport as fast as he can to avoid the box not to be tampered knowing that the papers covering the box is said to be carrying hospital equipment's as he was equally told too. The Consignments like I said are metal trunk box weighing about 110kg (Internal dimension: W61 x H156 x D73 (cm) effective Capacity: 680 L) Approximately, FYI: send him text massage to his phone number below in case he dose not have access to check his email at airport okay.
CONTACT HIM WITH HIS DETAILS BELOW.
Name: MR.BRIAN MOLEFE
(FYI). Please call and make sure you SMS him at: +1 (323) 577-4533
(FYI). Please E-mail Him at : email@example.com
(FYI). PLEASE KINDLY NOTE THE BELOW IMPORTANT REGISTRATION DETAILS OF YOUR CONSIGNMENT BOX . . . . .
1. THE REGISTRATION NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . MFCP/X00061/ACC/RA/GH
2. THE BATCH NUMBER OF THE BOX. . . . . . . . . . FMF/SGH/231/019
3. REFERENCE NUMBER..............................RSB
4. SERIAL NO. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .233075/EB
So contact him to deliver your package first thing tomorrow morning possibly today, So get back to us immediately you contact the Agent to make sure that your fund has getting to you without any hitch,
Furthermore, remember the Agent delivery the package does not know the content of that consignment box is money, because the Attorney which represented you registered it as hospital equipment's for security purpose during the delivery, so unknown circumstances should you let him know the content of that consignment Box is $10million to avoid lost of your fund as your consignment was Sign and Stamp by Supreme Court of Ghana to make sure that it is protected until it gets to you.
This Official Letter is being issued to you by "The Federal Ministry of Finance" in collaboration with The Director, Office of the permanent
Secretary and Presidency.
Mr. Yaw Osafo-Maafo
Chief Financial Officer
The Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning (MFCP)